Saturday, May 7, 2011

Living Room Idea #1

So Like I mentioned before I have a really had time deciding on one style and going with it, hints the blog, right.  Well here's Idea #1 for the living room.  Here's a picture of the living room if you're standing in the foyer.  This picture doesn't show the left wall which has a large opening into the dining room.
The layout of this room is giving me some issues.  First off the offset fireplace is just awkward.  The other issue is that the room is pretty long.  the wall on the left seems like the perfect spot for the TV on the tv stand I already have.  It's dark wood, narrow and fits my TV perfectly.  the problem with having the TV on the left is that it puts the fireplace on the opposite corner of the room which makes for opposing focal points. Once I take full measurements of the room I'm going to do a layout of the furniture and see how it works best (all though knowing me it'll change once I get everything in the room).  I was watching an HGTV show tonight where they used blues, greys, whites and wood tones to lighten and warm a space.  I really like the combination and it inspired me.  I would like to use the furniture that I already have and luckily the sofa and chair are slip covered from IKEA.  Here's the sofa with a grey slip cover.
I also like this slip cover for the chair.
At first I would have never thought to use these two together but that's were my inspiration room comes into play.  The designer used pillows on the solid sofa to pull in the floral and color.  These are a couple pillow ideas but I think I'll be keeping an eye out for the perfect ones.
Here's a link to the floor tiles that will pull the room together http://www.flor.com/well-suited-graphite.html#
I like the idea of floor tiles so that I can easily change out a soiled tile (I have two cat's it's bound to happen).  I think the herringbone is a little unexpected but that's what I like about it.  I don't want the room to look too country so I think the herringbone will balance the blue floral and the graphite color will pull it all together.

A light grey paint color on the walls would brighten the room a little.  There is no overhead light so the only light is from the window and lamps.  My first instinct is for a light grey like this but...
since the living room is part of the foyer which goes upstairs and down to the basement I don't think I want to use this cool of a color throughout the entire open area.  so I'm kind of leaning towards a warmer french grey that will work in the rest of the spaces. 
 The wood coffee table, tv stand, and end tables that I already have will work really well with this design.  The only problem I have is that I need more furniture to really fill up the space.  But that can be added in the future.  I'm thinking a carved wood chair like this one would work well near the fireplace.  It's light enough that it won't block your view of the fireplace and the white will work well with the fireplace surround.
  

So that's idea #1 we'll see where idea #2 takes me :)




No comments:

Post a Comment